Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Confessions from the Dark Side

I have a confession.

I'm new to this whole blogging "thing."  Whereas, I love the idea of recording random thoughts to share with others, I'm just not sure what's appropriate and what isn't.  It was suggested to me by my girlfriend, Melissa, to blog.  I think that's because she wants me to empty my mind of the random, and sometimes scary, thoughts that tend to permeate the dark reaches of this addled psyche that resides within my melon.  Either that, or she just things I'm one goofy SOB and I should share my musings with others.

Regardless, I guess it's best, or maybe customary, to start with a little background on the individual that has decided to mete his introspective/reflective points of view to an unsuspecting blogosphere.

My name is Denny, although, I don't know if many people actually put their names out here on their blogs.  Well, I often like to throw caution to the wind, so there it is.  I'm a widower, with two children and three step-children, although only one lives at home.  That's only because she's going to college and I made a deal that she wouldn't have to pay rent as long as she gets passing grades.  She had been living in Ottumwa while she attended school at Indian Hills Community College, but has since transferred to Muscatine Community College.  I've been married twice.  The first ended in divorce after two years, but did give me a son, Shawn.  A son, mind you, that wants nothing to do with his old man, but that's a story for another time.  My other child, my daughter Katrina, was a result of a 6-1/2 year relationship (we were never married) with a woman in Pennsylvania after I got out of the military.  That, too, is a story for another time and place.  I also have three step-daughters (Amber, Leah and Austie) from my second marriage.  That marriage is the one that resulted in my being a widower, sadly, however, I do have a somewhat good relationship with them.  Well, two out of the three of them anyway.  Again, a story for another time.  (I'll be saying that a lot, I think, since I'm just offering up what I hope to be a brief milieu into my being.)

I have a plethora of friends and family in the area, as well as across the states, which has been more than helpful these past couple years.  Suffice it to say, without them, I probably wouldn't be here.  And, by here, I mean blogging to the unsuspecting masses and not as a result of suicide.  Trust me when I say this, I am far too narcissistic to off myself.  Besides, I'd rather stick around and be a thorn in the sides of my haters!

In the last 3 - 4 years, I have lost my dad to cancer, my wife to a massive heart attack, and I, myself, have had a heart attack resulting in triple bypass surgery.  Successfully, I might add, if any of you were wondering.  Well, I'm hoping that I have peaked your interest into wanting to hear more.  I welcome comments, anecdotes, ideas, subscribers, etc., to my little corner of the world wide web.

Peace, Love and Karma!

1 comment:

  1. Success on the blogging effort! I'll check back from time to time to see if you fill in the "story for another time" blanks.

    ReplyDelete